The cost of college has become just too expensive. It has no doubt become too much of a strain on most American families After all, the cost of going to a traditional college is at an all-time high and there seems to be no indication that things will get cheaper.
Maybe it’s time to think outside the box.
These days, there are other options aside from traditional brick-and-mortar schools for getting quality college education. In fact, no matter how steep college costs are nowadays — there are available affordable options. These are the online colleges that are available out there.
Online college education has come a long way. What was once considered dubious is now widely accepted. Distance learning is now considered the new norm.
There are people who are still wondering how they are going to fare in the real world after graduating from an online college. Consider this survey finding.
According to a survey, 61% of small businesses and CEOs are aware of online programs. Interestingly, 83% of the executives who took the survey actually think that online programs are credible.
According to a survey, 61% of small businesses and CEOs are aware of online programs. Interestingly, 83% of the executives who took the survey actually think that online programs are credible. (1)
There are a lot of affordable online colleges. What a person needs to do is to choose one wisely and carefully. Creating a shortlist of affordable online colleges can definitely help streamline options.
Here are 12 must know tips to consider when shortlisting affordable online colleges.
12. Choose affordable online colleges that have been around for years. Online degree programs are now offered by colleges and universities that have been around for years and even centuries. Make sure to consider them. A degree will have more value if it’s from a college or university that has a proven track record and reputation. For affordable online colleges that are relatively new, look into their partnerships and relationships with employers, alumni, institutions, and the educational community. (2)
11. Consider ultimate career goals. Sit down and figure out exactly what the end goal is. Know the ultimate career goal. A person has to assess carefully if they are going to gain more from an online college. Look into the courses offered. No matter how affordable online colleges are, they’re going to be pretty useless if they don’t offer the course a person is interested in. (3)
10. Look into their support services. Shortlist affordable online colleges that offer 24-hour support. Will they be able to support a student when issues arise? It’s important that a student knows how he or she will be supported in times of technical difficulties. (4)
9. Check out the availability of any kind of financial aid. Even if it’s an affordable online college, a student might want to check out if they offer any kind of financial aid. Keep in mind that the loan default rate of each online college varies. (5)
8. Make sure there’s face-to-face interaction with the professors. Just because a student is enrolled in an online college doesn’t mean there’s no face-to face interaction with the professors. As a matter of fact, there should be. There should be an opportunity for a student to come face-to-face with the professors. (6)
7. Consider the Student-Faculty Ratio of each online college. As much as class size is important in a traditional learning set up, it’s the same thing for online education as well. So before choosing an affordable online college, make sure to consider the class size. (7)
6. Look into the graduation rate. Is there a large percentage of students remaining in the school? If yes, then the graduation rate must be good. The graduation rate says a lot about the school. Consider an affordable online college with a high graduation rate. (8)
5. Research deeply the background of the professors. Check their educational history. Do this by checking out the school’s website. They should have a “Faculty” page that showcases the credibility of their school’s faculty. That’s a good start to get to know the professors a student will be interacting with. (9)
4. Take a good look at the learning structure it offers. Are they offering a combination of online and traditional learning set-up? There are some online colleges that offer this kind of learning structure. Know more about the various learning structures of each online college. It will vary from one online college to another. Get familiar with the various learning structures and if possible, participate in a demo class. (10)
3. Take some time to see what other students are saying. Go online and research what the other students are saying. Chances are that there are a lot of online reviews by other students. Don’t just rely on the reviews on a school’s website. Scour the internet for reviews from other students. (11)
2. Choose only affordable online colleges that have been accredited. There are a lot of affordable online colleges but not all of them are accredited. An accredited online college has gone through a long process of ensuring their programs and curriculum are of the highest quality standards. Be careful. Hence, list down only the accredited online colleges that are affordable. (12)
1. Never settle for anything less. A person now has limitless options for affordable online colleges. Nonetheless, do your homework. Don’t settle for just anything. Gather all the information needed. It’s recommended that a person gets with at least five to six online colleges that seem to fit their requirements. (13)
Avoid making a bad choice. Look into all the affordable online colleges available out there. List them down. Then make use of the must know tips above to shortlist your options.
After all, you are going to make a very critical decision that’s going to have a huge impact on your life. A quality college education is one of the most precious gifts you can give yourself. It’s a gateway to a better future.
Good thing, there are now affordable online colleges that can help provide quality education.